ACADEMIC STRATEGIES PROGRAM
DESIGNED TO UNLOCK POTENTIAL
The holistic approach used in our Academic Strategies Program reaches far beyond the classroom. Along with instruction in the four program areas, the 24-hour nature of a boarding school environment allows faculty to truly get to know their students. Being part of the same community means caring for the whole child. The vision of the program is not only to help students achieve academically, but grow into self-determined young women who areconfident in their skills and abilities.
The Academic Strategies Program (ASP) is available to all Oldfields students and serves as an additional support outside the regular classroom. The goal is to accelerate each girl’s learning by providing an individualized program that recognizes talents while helping her to acquire the skills and strategies to become an independent and successful lifelong learner.
The Academic Strategies Program is designed to fit seamlessly into each student’s schedule to better serve her at every stage of her educational experience. Levels and types of support depend entirely on specific needs as presented by outside evaluators, teachers, parents, and the student herself. Each scheduled one-on-one session will incorporate these program components:
- Academic Coaching helps students develop the executive functions they need to be successful. Time-management is supported through goal setting and advance planning while students also learn how to organize their materials, resources, and ideas to meet those goals. The mission of the Academic Strategies Program is for students to internalize this instruction to develop self-discipline and motivation.
- Strategy Instruction is individualized for each girl in the program.A specific plan is developed by the Director of Learning Support, and is shared with classroom teachers. Past educational testing, teacher evaluations, parent input, and most importantly, each girl’s assessment of her own needs are used to formulate this plan. Strategy instruction may include
- Memory skills
- Writing tools
- Problem solving methods
- Note taking and project outlining
- Organizational and time management techniques
- General reading comprehension
- Basic Skills Reinforcement offers students the opportunity to practice skills that may have been previously presented but underutilized. Improving these skills allows students to be better prepared to meet their current academic expectations with greater ease and confidence.
- Self-advocacy is encouraged as the ASP team evaluates each girls learning style. Once a student understands how they learn, it is much easier for them to understand the need for specific strategies to assist them and often this “knowledge-of-self” is priceless. We work with each girl to develop a voice, be proactive, and better communicate her specific needs with teachers or other people in her life that impact her future.
Tier One Cost
Tier Two Cost
Cost shown above is for the 2017-2018 school year.
* Oldfields Strategies Plan (OSP) is an individualized plan with robust information on a student’s areas of strengths and needs with specific recommendations for support and accommodation
By offering flexible movement between the tiers in the Academic Strategies Program, each girl receives exactly the support she needs, exactly when she needs it.
Let’s unlock that potential together – starting now!
Please direct Academic Strategies Program questions to Director of Learning Support Roberta Sachs, SachsR@OldfieldsSchool.org or Dean of Faculty Helen M. Fitz, FitzH@OldfieldsSchool.org or 443-662-1071.
Contact the Admission Office
If you are contacting us for the first time, please begin the process by either completing the Request Information Form, or by calling our Admission Office at 410-472-4800. Once we receive your inquiry, we will be in touch! All application instructions, and necessary application forms are available on-line.
Director of Admission and Enrollment Management
Associate Director of Admission and Financial Aid
Senior Associate Director of Admission